We’ve all been told over and over again not to pop our pimples. But when one Texas woman disregarded dermatology’s first commandment, she nearly lost her vision. Not knowing whether you have an ordinary pimple or staph infection can become life threatening if not treated correctly.
Staph infections are caused by staphylococcus bacteria, typically found on the skin or nose. Though these type of germs usually don’t cause any problems, albeit some minor skin infections, they can turn deadly if the bacteria spread deeper into your body.
A Closer Look the Case Study
That’s what happened to 21-year-old Katie Wright when she tried popping what she thought was just an inflamed and really painful pimple on her eyebrow. Squeezing it, unfortunately, caused it to become much worse so that overnight her face swelled up so much that her features became distorted. Plus, the blemish´s opening would not stop oozing pus.
She posted a photo of herself along with a message warning others about the dangers of staph infections and it went viral. Wright wrote:
“I went to the emergency room and they said it was a very serious case of cellulitis, which is a version of a staph infection, but instead of having a head like staph, it affects the deep cellular tissues with no main source to attack,” Wright wrote on her Twitter page. “Since it was on my face, there was a huge risk of it spreading to my brain or my eyes causing me to go blind.”
Wright suspects that the spoolie on her eyebrow brush, which she hadn’t cleaned, had become infected. When the bacteria on it came in contact with the opening in her skin, it turned into a serious staph infection.
Keep reading: Page 1 of 3Next