Why Is My Hair Falling Out? Possible Causes and What to Do

Woman dissappointed at hair loss

Woman hair loss

Why is so much of my hair falling out? The answer to your question isn’t simple, because there are many factors that can help trigger hair loss – no matter how careful you are.

Treatment for hair loss depends on the causes, so the first thing to do is to find them.

It’s natural to lose around 100 hairs daily, which should grow back again. In order to understand why hair falls out, it’s necessary to know its cycles.

Human Hair: How Does It Grow?

Body hair is as typical to human beings as feathers are to birds and scales to fish. About 5 million hairs cover the body, except on the palms of the hands, the soles of the feet, the lips, the belly button and the mucous membranes.

Hair grows in three phases: Anagen (growth), Catagen (transitional) and Telogen (resting).

While 90% of hairs are growing, the remaining 10% are in resting phase for 3-4 months, then they fall out and new hairs begin growing in their place.

The root of the hair is located inside the follicle, a tiny tube inside the skin that feeds the hair and keeps it growing.

When hair starts to grow, it pushes to come up through the skin. Once it reaches the surface the cells of the hair strand die, which is the reason we don’t feel any pain when we get a haircut.

As with skin, the substance called melanin gives hair its color. As we age melanin production decreases, so the hair begins to lose its color, becoming grey or white.  

Keep reading: Page 1 of 4

Next