Puppy Poop: How to Avoid a Dangerous Infection


A Nationwide Campylobacter Outbreak

The dangerous infection was tracked down to people across the nation who had either recently purchased a Petland puppy, worked at Petland, visited a Petland, visited or live in a home with a Petland puppy, reported the Miami Herald.

“Most people who become ill with campylobacteriosis get diarrhea, cramping, abdominal pain, and fever within two to five days after exposure to the organism,” said the CDC. “The diarrhea may be bloody and can be accompanied by nausea and vomiting. The illness typically lasts about one week.

How to Avoid Getting Infected with Campylobacter Bacteria

First, always wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water or use hand sanitizer after touching a dog, after handling their food, and after cleaning up after them, recommends the CDC. When you clean up after your dog (pee, poop or vomit) use disposable gloves and wash your hands afterwards. To disinfect the area, use a mixture of water and bleach.

As much as we love our pets, don’t let them lick around your mouth and face. If you have an open wound it’s especially risky to let your dog lick the broken skin area.

And remember, take your dog to the veterinarian when you first purchase it and then on a regular basis to keep it healthy and to help prevent the spread of disease.

The CDC also suggests picking a puppy or dog that’s bright, alert, and playful to avoid taking home a sick animal. But be aware that even a dog that appears healthy can spread germs to people and other animals.

Not Just Puppies, Chickens are Culprits, Too

Next time you break out that cutting board to dice up some raw chicken breast make sure to wash it with plenty of soap and water right before and right after using it. Though campylobacter infections are most often associated most often with poultry, unpasteurized dairy products, along with untreated water, and produce can also spread the bacteria. According to the CDC, a single drop of juice from raw chicken can have enough campylobacter in it to infect someone.

Keep reading: Page 2 of 2