Do you adore going out for Japanese food, but deep down fear sushi parasites? You have good reason to worry that something might smell fishy about the situation. In this article we want to offer you a sushi warning to consider the next time you consume raw fish.
In a recent report published in the British Medical Journal, doctors warn the public of the dangers of ingesting parasites from raw and undercooked fish. Though sushi safety has been generally secure in Western countries, sushi’s growing demand in the West has been linked to a rise in parasite infections. Most of the sushi parasite cases in the last decades were reported in Japan due to its high rate of raw fish consumption.
But a recent case in Europe set off alarm bells in the West.
The BMJ reported that they treated a 32-year-old man, in Lisbon, who was found to have parasite larvae on his gut lining. His symptoms prior to going to the hospital were stomach pain, vomiting and fever for a week.
Keep reading: Page 1 of 3Next